Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Twitter me up Devin

A few final thoughts on Tuesday's election:

Personally, I'm so glad Devin McClendon lost the election. Now he'll have time to teach me to Twitter. But unfortunately for me, I have an idea he won't be twiddling his thumbs, or teaching me to Tweet anytime soon. I hope there's a 2011 Brentwood race in his future, or maybe even something bigger. After yesterday, I wonder if he's not too progressive for us. And that's a shame.

Have you ever seen the 1998 movie Pleasantville starring Nashville's own Reece Witherspoon? Since we're supposed to have another 19 inches of rain in the next few days, rent it, Netflix it or check it out from the Brentwood Library (just make sure you return it on time! This I know from experience -- see yesterday's post). Settle in on the couch, pop popcorn and enjoy. Then let me know what you think.

Speaking of rain, the Leathers’ rain gauge currently shows just shy of an inch of rain from overnight and this morning. Sigh.

And speaking of the library, you have to love Library Director Chuck Sherrill. He said he would have loaned me cash or his library card yesterday. As to why he would be late to the gathering at the library to hear who vote tallies, you must love his excuse: “I’m going out to dinner with my parents, celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary (!). I will be back at the library after that.” Congratulations to them!

Could 2011 bring a Joe and Joe showdown?
Last year, longtime commissioner Joe Sweeney announced at a city commission meeting he did not plan to run for re-election. In a Brentwood Journal story following up on the statement he confirmed that was his thinking at that time, leaving the door cracked for another run. If he decides to open the door in two years he will face Brentwood's other Joe --longtime commissioner Joe Reagan who came in fourth Tuesday. Both have celebrated 80th birthdays but both still love the city with the passion they had when they first ran for office.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.