Wednesday, May 27, 2009

City proclaims Pete a legend

Anyone who read my newspaper column or now reads this blog knows I cheat on my husband. I have a thing for older men. Much older men.
And there's one in particular who has won the key to my heart. And now he has the key to the city.
Pete Schutt's daughter asked me Tuesday night how I had gotten to know her dad. I really couldn't remember. I think we connected on some city issue and just clicked. Since then we've lunched and laughed and he's given me some great political and life advice.
My family was lucky enough to have attended two of the Meadowlake Homeowners Association picnics that Pete and his bride Joyce hosted for years at their "lakefront" home on Williamsburg Road. But beyond introducing ourselves, we didn't connect then.
It was several years later that the World War II veteran and I started "sparking" so to speak. I always light up when I see him. Maybe it's because I so seldom get to see my dad and Pete reminds me so much of him.
For years, some might say 33, Pete has been a Brentwood fixture. He's been an active citizen by attending board meetings and writing letters to board members and city staff. He even put his name forward to fill out Bill Youree's seat last year after Bill's too-sudden death.
As recently as a few weeks ago, Pete sent a letter to all of the commissioners urging them to take the lead in redevelopment of Town Center.
"As a concerned member of the community, can I expect to hear that the city commission is going to get the ball rolling?" he asked. He wrote he had read about a small, grassroots group that wants to see more progress made there.
"The city has the gavel. Let me hear it to get the meetings started. Together we can move a mountain but divided all we can do is talk ... Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference," he continued.
He signed it, "May love, joy and peace be yours, Pete Schutt."
At Tuesday's City Commission meeting, love, joy and peace were evident. Commissioners recognized him for his role as a soft-spoken citizen activist -- activist being used here in the best sense of the word.
You see Pete is moving to Franklin soon. I actually suggested the 50-plus development where he is buying a home. Now I feel guilty.
At the meeting, Mayor Betsy Crossley called Pete up to the front of the board room. First she presented him with an official proclamation and key to the city. Then the accolades began.
Calling Pete, "a citizen who has never held back," Commissioner Anne Dunn noted that when Pete had concerns, his criticism was "always taken to heart."
"Pete, we love you," Joe Sweeney told him. "You've never been vindictive, you've always been firm." He added how much he had enjoyed the birthday cakes Pete and Joyce had baked for board members over the years.
"It wouldn't be a city commission meeting if he wasn't sitting there on the second row," quipped Joe Reagan, who went on to mention his and Pete's shared love of woodworking. (And for the record, I'm convinced the too-small wood shop at The Heritage may have been the deciding factor in Pete's departure.)
Pete actually has several reasons for moving to Franklin, not the least of which is being closer to his bride. Joyce, as much a figure at Brentwood City Commission meetings over the years as her husband, has Alzheimer's Disease. A few years ago she moved into a Franklin assisted living facility better equipped to take care of her.
In a prepared statement, carefully printed in pencil on an index card, Pete told the commission how much he appreciated the fact that it had remained non-partisan and urged it to stay that way.
"Joyce and I have enjoyed every minute we've been here," Pete told those attending the meeting, including two of his children, a granddaughter and a great-granddaughter who traveled to Brentwood to see him honored. "Brentwood has been good to us ... I am not moving far down the road so will be able to come back often."
I sure hope so.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.