Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pay no fine before its time .. and other Election Day news

It's a sad state of affairs. At 9:48 a.m. this morning, only 37 people had voted at the Brentwood Library. And that's not the worst news.
The excellent crew working the polls told me they had sent almost as many people away, because they were at the wrong polling station. But that's not the worst news, either.
What could that be? It's like this: My game plan had been to blog from one of the library's incredible array of computers after hanging out for a few hours talking to voters, candidates, etc. I went in, threw off my coat and settled in. I pulled out my handy key chain library card, put in my account number and, voila, was ready to go to work. But no. Turns out I owe a fine and access was denied.
Having no cash, I headed home to blog instead.
All's well that ends well, however. I left my chair at the library and will pay the fine when I return to pick it up. I just hope that when I ask the election crew later today how many have voted the numbers will have turned miraculously upward.
***
Dietrich "Deech" Kirk and his daughter Carlisle stopped by the library to vote. They (well make that Deech, Carlisle is 3) were among those directed to another polling place.
"You would think in this electronic age you could vote anywhere in the city, especially in an election where they are expecting less than 20,000 votes," he said before heading to the Brentwood Safety Center on Sunset Road.
He's right about being able to vote anywhere in the city for a municipal election. We should be able to. Unfortunately I don't think he's right about the 20,000 voters. From the looks of it, we'll be lucky to hit 2,000 today.
***
Speaking of turnout, Mac Kelton, out campaigning for Devin McClendon early this morning at the library, thinks Brentwood can make history in the 2011 city commission election. He truly believes there's a way to reach 100 percent voter turnout. Talk about breaking national news right here in small-town Tennessee.
He's already thinking and scheming and otherwise trying to figure out how to make it happen. If you have ideas to share, he's open to hearing them!
***
Joe Reagan isn't out trying to buy votes this morning, but he definitely is keeping his poll workers happy with a steady supply of Daylight Donuts. Joe is one sweet politician though I did call him evil for trying to compromise my South Beach effort. Thank goodness they weren't chocolate glazed ....
***
Well, it's time to get back out among 'em. Check back for more news from the streets, or parking lots as the case may be.

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    Hopefully, our new councilmen will look into open voting for municipal elections. But, I simply want to say this is the first time I have ever been correctly quoted by a news source. Having been quoted 10-15 times. I just want to say thanks. Too bad you couldn't fit the disgusted look on my face in to the article.

    Deech

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.