Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Popcorn and drink for $1 each! Really!

Latest 'Harry' film not for under-6 crowd
So, it's like this. I was working away here at the home office when one eye started to twitch and the other started to do other funky things. I took it as a sign I needed to leave the computer screen and do something else.
So I borrowed a few kids (and their mother) and went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at Thoroughbred 20 in Cool Springs. The 1:40 p.m. matinee saved some cash but the big surprise came at the snack bar, where on Tuesday's the Carmike chain is offering its own economic stimulus package -- personal-sized bags of popcorn and small soft drinks for $1 each.
Now this is a stimulus incentive I can get behind. Really hungry? Splurge and get TWO bags. You still come out ahead!
As for the movie, I've read all the books and seen all the films so was anxious to add this to the collection, especially with all the good reviews it's received. Sadly, I came away a bit disappointed and antsy. I think a review of the book beforehand would have helped me enjoy it a bit better. Or maybe it's just that Harry is the only one who hasn't seemed to age. Poor Daniel Radcliffe is vertically challenged. He can't help it I know, but it's too bad he's not at least as tall as his new love Ginny Weasley.
A word to the wise, however. There were lots of young children, say age 5 and under, in today's matinee. And this is not the movie for them. Really. It's long, a little dark and I really just doubt any of them really enjoyed it. The little girl in front of me definitely didn't; she and her grandmother took several side trips during the 2-hour, 33-minute film.
On a positive note, the pre-show advertisement featuring race-car driver Danica Patrick is almost worth the admission price itself. To her pit crew: I know just how you feel about those panties that ride up and bad tan lines. But you're looking marvelous, boys. Just marvelous.
What was she selling? I can't remember. But the short piece was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.