Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Looks like our clunker's a real turkey

Been out of the BrentWord home office most of the day, working in the field so to speak.
And it was from one field to another, with a dangerous crossing of Holly Tree Gap Road, that partner Kelly Gilfillan and I were stopped dead in our tracks -- well, make that her Pathfinder -- by seven wild turkeys.
Obviously they knew that "pedestrians" get the right of way, because there was no stopping them. But I have to wonder if all the stories I've heard about our native birds' intelligence isn't on the mark. No way did they look right, left, right before crossing.

***
It's just like the government to get me all excited about something then burst my bubble almost as fast.
For weeks we've been hearing and reading about Cash for Clunkers. Talk about music to my ears. Though we don't have money for a new car, even a new cheap car, if we could get $4500 for our clunker -- the boys' '91 Plymouth Acclaim -- I figured it might just be worth a trip down to my cousin's Chevrolet dealership in Columbia to try to take advantage of the limited-time offer.
The fact that the speedometer stopped at 156,000 miles about six years ago wasn't even a concern. From what I've read, they aren't going to resell them, but instead send them straight to the smash factory.
I started dreaming. Thomas could have the 2000 Nissan Sentra, Martin could keep the '04 Spectrum and Larry would have some new wheels with great gas mileage for his daily commute to Vanderbilt.
(Sorry Andrews Cadillac, Gary Force Acura and Lexus of Nashville -- as much as I like to shop Brentwood, I just don't think we can afford anything you sell this year. But when BrentWord takes off and starts bringing in the big bucks, let's talk hybrids!)
Anyway, my bubble burst when I couldn't find the Acclaim on the "approved" Clunker list. Knowing it must be an oversight, I looked up its gas mileage -- a combined MPG of 22, four over the limit.
Who knew? Our Clunker's a keeper. At least it has a new paint job and lots of personality.
And we don't have another car payment. I guess that's something to celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Susan:
    Like you, when we heard about the clunker bill, Ray decided it was time to trade in his GMC pickup truck. The salesmas was very nice, but told him it was too old--vehicles cannot be over 24 years old! Ours, a 1974, is considered an antique!!!
    Miss seeing you!
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.