Monday, April 13, 2009

A new day dawns

On December 2, my life changed dramatically. The headlines and stories that had been recording the nation's economic downtown suddenly became personal.

At a little past 5 p.m., I was called into my editor's office at The Tennessean's Williamson A.M. office and informed I was one of the 2,200 employees being laid off that day throughout the Gannett Corporation. I didn't see it coming. Like a growing number of friends and acquaintances in Brentwood and beyond, I found myself applying for unemployment and wondering, what now?

Since the start of the year I have enjoyed reconnecting with the Brentwood community in ways never possible as a member of the official press. I seriously considered a run for City Commission in the current race but opted -- at least this time around -- to be an active citizen participant by publicly supporting candidates, writing letters to the editor and speaking out on issues that concern me. I have become much more active in my church, neighborhood and in community affairs. I enjoy walking around "downtown" Brentwood and Town Center and am amazed at what I see and the people I meet.

Unfortunately, with local media's cutbacks we've experienced an increasing lack of indepth news coverage of our very dynamic, well-educated and incredibly interesting suburb of Nashville. So after a few months vacation, I've decided it's time to start writing again. Today, BrentWord the blog begins. Have an idea, suggestion or issue you want me to look into? Have some fun news to share? Drop me an email or post a comment.


Now, about that Town Center Festival no one's planned yet ...

9 comments:

  1. Susan,

    This is exactly what Brentwood and Franklin needs -- smart scoop from the woman we've all been reading for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Susan! Five followers already, I'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, Great idea and great work! Good luck with this very worthy project and with your new role as Citizen Sue! Kathy and Dave in Rochester, NY...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start. Look forward to reading this.

    Gil Hutchinson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Susan! You have been missed! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had wondered where you went...glad to know I can still enjoy your writing. Glad you're back and best of luck to you!

    A Brentwood Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to hear your insights about the Cal Turner property/fiasco and the need for more imaginative housing in Brentwood as opposed to the 1-acre lots/2 story houses that Brentwoodians(?) won't be able to stay in as we get older! Ed Evins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you writing again as we have all missed your weekly column. Thanks for making us think about our local politics and being an activist for our community. Can't wait until your next posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the saddle again! We have missed your straight forward journalism and witty humor. Positive communication is key and your work is very appreciated!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.