Friday, April 17, 2009

Devin's won my third vote

Thousands of people attended Wednesday's Tea Party in Franklin. Only 60 or so attended Thursday night's final Brentwood City Commission candidates night, by far the best of the four held this election season. The questions were fresh and different. Several of the candidates really began differentiating themselves from the pack while others missed opportunities to open themselves up to new ideas and innovations.
In my estimation, the local race can have so much more impact on people's actual lives than state or national politics since it involves their home, their schools, their property taxes, their environment. I had hoped the excitement and involvement experienced during the November elections would light the fire under this local one. I worry it's just flickering.
***
After attending all of the candidates nights, I stand by my support of Paul Webb and Rhea Little. And I'm now ready to add a third to the list.
The day I picked up a candidate's petition for the Brentwood race a young man was already at the county's election office counter. He looked at me and said, "Are you running? This could be very interesting."
I didn't but it has.
He introduced himself as Devin McClendon. I didn't know him at the time and had my doubts. But over the past few months he has impressed me with his preparation, understanding of the issues and dedication to the campaign.
Devin is smart and savvy in a positive way. He's the only candidate who wasn't born when the city incorporated 40 years ago but he has already graduated from Leadership Brentwood, served on the city's 2020 committee and is connected to the younger residents, professionals and business leaders who will take the city forward in the years ahead.
The last of my four votes? I'm still mulling that one over. But I will tell you that Miguel Palmer really intrigues me. Natalie Mertee has stepped up and Rod Freeman is a proven leader in our community. Look for more on all of them before May 5.
Have BrentWord worthy news to share? Contact me at brentword@comcast.net

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I am so glad you have given a nod to Rhea Little. He is an old friend of ours and is a great guy. He is be a terrific one to have on the commission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been handing out my votes today, and came to some similar conclusions...

    http://www.flamingobear.com/2009/04/brentwood-isnt-bad-but/

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.