Sunday, April 26, 2009

Concert of Hope tonight for one and all

Regardless of your faith, or if you even claim to be a person of faith, tonight's Concert of Hope at Brentwood United Methodist Church promises to be an event that raises spirits for all who attend.
"We invite the community ... to reach out to those they know who may be suffering and in despair at this time. All of us know people who are struggling economically, socially, physically and emotionally, and we offer this music as one comforting tool for tough times," the church announced in its invitation.
For the most part, I am over the pity party I threw myself after losing my job in December. I quickly put things in God's hands and so far he hasn't let me down. But almost daily I learn about friends and acquaintances in Brentwood and beyond also now struggling with job loss or cut hours or slow real estate markets or lost college funds or any number of other difficulties. I learned this morning about a fabulous Brentwood woman whose cancer has returned.
A Facebook friend just sent a note sharing that our Middle Tennessee Goodwill doesn't have enough donations at a time when demand for its stores' inventory is higher than ever. Though we don't have a store in Brentwood -- and boy do I wish we did! -- we do have a collection point at the Wilson Pike recycling center just south of Concord Road. I'm sure Thrift Smart, Graceworks and other nonprofit agencies are experiencing the same challenges.
But it's a beautiful day in a beautiful city in a beautiful country in a beautiful world. We have so much to be grateful for. And I think a night of music may be just the thing to remind us all of that.
The concert features the 120-voice Chancel Choir, Treble Chorus comprised of 5th-12th graders and the Franklin Boys Choir. The choirs will be accompanied by the Orchestra of Brentwood. Guest soloist is Scot Cameron of Dallas, Texas, and the concert is directed by Dr. David Keith.
The church is located at 309 Franklin Road, across the street from Brentwood Place shopping center.
If other churches, schools or organizations are hosting similar events, please let me know. I'd love to spread the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.