Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Candidates missing prime opportunity to win votes

Now, I realize it's not like me to give advice or have an opinion. But if I were to venture in that direction, I'd have to tell the 10 candidates running for the four available spots on Brentwood's City Commission that they all have completely missed the boat by not bringing up and creating a platform on the most important issue facing our city.
Moles.
Indeed, moles were going to be the heart of my campaign had I decided to turn in my petition and run. I would have campaigned to declare Brentwood a "Mole-Free Zone." If elected I would have had big, bold signs posted at every city gateway informing the little vermins that they are not welcome here.
If you have not experienced the havoc these shifty infiltrators are creating you've had your head in a tunnel -- one no doubt created by one of the sly, earth-moving engineers.
So, I urge one or all of the candidates to accept my challenge and bring it up at Thursday night's final candidates forum.
I remain undecided on two of my four votes. I'm telling you, if someone can get rid of the moles, they are a shoo-in for a seat.
***
Speaking of the candidate's forum, if you haven't been to any of the previous ones, make this one a priority.
Brentwood parents Terry and Chris Bosen have organized the 7 p.m. Thursday affair at Ravenwood High School. The Brentwood Family YMCA has signed on as co-sponsor. The focus will be on issues that directly affect Brentwood families of school-age children. And though WAKM's Tom Lawrence has done a fine job moderating the three previous forums, this one will be moderated by Lesley Raney, a senior at Brentwood High, and Hannah Andrews, a Ravenwood senior, who will no doubt bring something new to the table. Even better, you are invited and encouraged to submit questions for the candidates.
I, of course, will be emailing in a question about moles, an issue affecting families on their one-acre lots all over town. But if you have a different issue you'd like to see the candidates address, email you question(s) ASAP to: brentwoodparents@gmail.com. Or feel free to post them here and I will pass them along.
Let's pack the Ravenwood theater so when early voting begins Friday we'll all know the candidates better and be ready to make educated and enlightened selections.
See you there!

3 comments:

  1. Here's an alternative. You could move to the floodplain, which we weren't in until after Hurricane Katrina. Here the water table is too high for moles (and, apparently, home additions), but your kids will learn all about crawfish chimneys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Susan- I've missed reading your column. This will be even more for me to enjoy than before!

    I suggest you get a "molinator". We have one. Frequent bathing is required, but it's well worth the results. Our neighbors claim that the lucky moles escaping our molinator's wrath are now excavating their yards. We treat the neighbors to dinner often and all is well. Mole problem solved!
    P.S. Some call them Cairn Terriers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will answer the mole question and fight for the eradication of these rodents! Unfortunately, you could break an ankle if you walked through my yard right now.

    As your commissioner, I will research the various methods I have been told that could force these rodents out and spread the word to the entire city as to what works!

    My neighbor says castor oil works...I'll try that next week and let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.