Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lovin' our B: Serving up news, and maybe a little chicken

Have you seen our new signage outside of our new office at the Town Center Roundabout? Our signature B is definitely eye-catching, which is why we paid the big bucks for it. But the first time Kelly and I saw it, driving back to the office from a meeting, we both burst out laughing.

“It’s terrible!” Kelly said.

“It looks like a Broaster Chicken store!” I responded.

What took us by surprise was the white background on our B that definitely made it “pop” as our sign guy said it would. Can’t blame him, we gave him the green light. And as time has passed, and reader after reader tells us they’ve “seen your B!” or “Now I know where your new office is,” we’ve grown to love it. Plus, neither one of us was looking forward to getting up on a ladder with an X-Acto knife and trying to trim the white away.

I continued to use the Broaster Chicken line anytime I gave directions to our new digs. “Just look for the building that looks like you could pick up two legs and a thigh of broasted chicken,” I’d say.

Imagine my surprise a few Saturdays ago when I was screaming down Franklin Road, late to cover the opening of the city’s first dog park. Just before getting to Concord Road, a bright red and blue sign caught my eye outside the Brentwood Market.

“Genuine Broaster Chicken” it read.

Making the world even smaller, after all of the hoopla had died down at the dog park that morning, a couple came in with one of the biggest dogs I’d ever seen. Tiberius, a young Saint Bernard, dwarfed all of her fellow canines. Of course I had to take her picture and get her story for BHP.

Turns out her owners are Archie and Deonna Miller – who just recently bought the Brentwood Market. When he told me that, I laughed out loud again, then shared the story of our B.

Coincidence? I don’t think so.

It took me a while, but on Wednesday I made a special trip to the market to try out the “Genuine Broaster Chicken.”

Folks, despite my love of food, I have not eaten chicken or turkey skin in years. Guess that’s my way of being “healthy.” Well, I’m here to tell you that I not only ate the skin, I think I would have eaten the bones if that had been possible.

You’ll find my review in our Food & Drinks section today, along with our new wine & spirits column, being penned for us by the Saucy Sisters, Barbara Nowak and Beverly Wichman. Look for more food coverage in the weeks and months ahead. And if you know of a great food story we could consider, let me know.

Originally posted in the Brentwood Home Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcomed, but BrentWord reserves the right to delete any posts it considers in bad taste or otherwise not Brentword worthy.